What We Do
Page Turners Make Great Learners motivates and encourages students to read through a variety of supplemental experiences that support and reinforce classroom curriculum. The importance and pleasure of reading is communicated through:
- Corporate-Sponsored Read-a-Thons
- Virtual/Summer Book Clubs
- Book Donation Drives
- Author Visits
Why it Matters
- Helps children make a connection to their own life experiences.
- Helps demonstrate a clear connection between the skill of reading and the wider world.
- Helps build good listening, language and critical thinking skills
- Low literacy costs $73 million per year in terms of direct health care costs.
- In Georgia, 85% of Black 4th graders and 80% of Hispanic 4th graders score below the proficiency level in reading.
- Out-of-school reading habits of students has shown that even 15 minutes a day of independent reading can expose students to more than a million words of text per year.
- Nearly 85% of the juveniles who face trial in the juvenile court system are functionally illiterate.
- The more students read for fun on their own time, the higher their reading scores.
- The more types of reading materials there are in the home, the higher students are in reading proficiency.
Students who talk about their reading activities with friends or family once or twice a week, or even once a month, average higher reading scores than those who rarely, or never, have reading discussions.
Page Turners Make Great Learners partners with schools throughout the Atlanta metropolitan area not only in providing positive reading experiences, but also drawing a clear connection between the skills of reading and the wider world.